Follow Me Then Fly Begins!


Here we go! A blog for my women who struggle with being and living their best selves. Let this blog be to strengthen your wisdom and vitality for life and thus your physical person. May it be a resource of encouragement to you and a place of comfort and new strategies. My desire for Follow Me Then Fly is for women who need a companion to find an understanding home here. I hope my wisdom and my words will point you to Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior and aid you in your walk to be your unique and optimal selves, living fully for Him. I do not claim to be anything other than I am: a Christian, a woman, a teacher, a leader. I've learned a few things along the way and have some knowledge to share. What I share with you is from my life's learnings and from my heart. Welcome.


Thursday, April 20, 2023

Unreasonable Expectations - Don't Go There

 If I could tell one thing to my younger self it would be, "Do not set unreasonable expectations for yourself."  Throughout life we are exposed to so many opinions, viewpoints, advertisements and beliefs that we sometimes find ourselves trying to measure up to many, if not all, of them.  We see something that catches our attention, and we often are swayed to feel or think we HAVE to imitate it.  This is very true of advertisements which are geared toward this very reaction.  Our economy is premised on the promise that we will be coerced into purchasing whatever is for sale in order to try to achieve it for ourselves.  This is sadly inauthentic and a sad way to live.  

I did an experiment once where I  spent one whole quiet summer (before internet) without looking at magazines and flyers that came in the mail.  I wanted to see what would happen if I reduced my exposure to things I might WANT.  I had no television during those years, so this really was a valid trial.  I was not tempted by new clothes and I also felt a little happier with my own appearance, which I have always criticized.  This was a nice experience for me.  

 It is important consider that we might be unhappy in portions of our lives because we are constantly being held up against unrealistic expectations.  I have to confess, I have held myself to extremely high standards that have many times exceeded the realm of realistic. I have pushed myself often to run farther, be thinner, smarter, accomplish more…the list is truly rather long.  It’s unfortunate in some ways, but it’s also part of what it means to live in this world where a continual barrage of input comes our way.  

I have begun to look around less and look inside more. I like shutting everything down and reading, crocheting, baking, exercising, writing, praying, listening, seeing, resting.  It’s been so good for my soul.  I can sometimes get distracted, but I want my life to be MY LIFE.  Not social media, websites, t.v., movies, Netflix, etc.  I want my mind to be TO BELONG ME and GOD.  

One of my best friends once said she was sick of taking pictures of life and posting them.  She just wanted to live it instead.  I Agree! Have you set unrealistic expectations on yourself? Trust my experience, it’s a hard way to live-and is it really living?  

Take good care today.

No comments:

Post a Comment