Follow Me Then Fly Begins!


Here we go! A blog for my women who struggle with being and living their best selves. Let this blog be to strengthen your wisdom and vitality for life and thus your physical person. May it be a resource of encouragement to you and a place of comfort and new strategies. My desire for Follow Me Then Fly is for women who need a companion to find an understanding home here. I hope my wisdom and my words will point you to Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior and aid you in your walk to be your unique and optimal selves, living fully for Him. I do not claim to be anything other than I am: a Christian, a woman, a teacher, a leader. I've learned a few things along the way and have some knowledge to share. What I share with you is from my life's learnings and from my heart. Welcome.


Friday, May 22, 2015

Don't Buy the Stereotype

Stereotypes are tough.  They are insidious and they are damaging.  We don't often realize when we are stereotyping someone and we don't often realize when we are stereotyping ourselves.  We cannot get through this life, it seems, without being the recipient of another's judgments, however, we can be careful to not judge ourselves.  

Often someone will say something to us and it hurts us to a point that we change a little inside after their comment.  If someone is coming from a kind and loving place and they want to help you to become a better person, it might be a positive experience for us to receive their comments in order to be a more outstanding human on this earth, but the person had better be pure of heart when doing so....and a very dear friend who knows you well.  They must be experienced and wise and have only your best interests at heart.  They must not be stereotyping you, putting you in a category for a weird reason, but truly wanting to guide you.

Others will give you a label, put you in a box and hurt you for years.  For example.  "Crying is a sign of weakness, and those who cry a lot are weak."  Oh boy.  Don't get me going.  I think I'm pretty strong.  I've lived through much and have come through better each time.  It takes me a minute sometimes to adjust to life's little quirks, but after I do, I take them on with a fever.  That said, I'm a crier.  I cry.  I cry at meetings.  I cry in front of my students, I cry in front of their parents.  My colleagues know I cry,  I just cry.  I am an emotional, passionate person.  I get tired, overwhelmed, moved, touched, pushed....all are triggers that make me cry.  I FEEL.  I cry from compassion a lot which is my NUMBER ONE trait.  I am compassionate.  Would I want me any other way?  Nope.

What can I say?  Don't stereotype me as weak.  Because crying and weakness are not synonymous. 

Are you feeling stereotyped?  Don't buy it.  Speak to that situation and hold your finger down on any type of stereotyping from others or from yourself.  You are unique and you don't fit a mold.

Take Good Care Today.


1 comment:

  1. When I see tears I think, " Oh wow, this person is able to show what she or he is feeling". There is no judgement here when it comes to feelings. I think it is healthier to express one's feelings (in this case by crying) than to keep feelings bottled up so that others or even ourselves are not aware of how we feel. I think it takes great courage and strength to expose or show our feelings to others.

    ReplyDelete