Follow Me Then Fly Begins!


Here we go! A blog for my women who struggle with being and living their best selves. Let this blog be to strengthen your wisdom and vitality for life and thus your physical person. May it be a resource of encouragement to you and a place of comfort and new strategies. My desire for Follow Me Then Fly is for women who need a companion to find an understanding home here. I hope my wisdom and my words will point you to Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior and aid you in your walk to be your unique and optimal selves, living fully for Him. I do not claim to be anything other than I am: a Christian, a woman, a teacher, a leader. I've learned a few things along the way and have some knowledge to share. What I share with you is from my life's learnings and from my heart. Welcome.


Friday, January 16, 2015

Don't be a Woodpecker

Are you being a woodpecker?  Do you bang your head against a tree repeatedly trying so hard to get the worm inside?  I watched a woodpecker for a good five minutes yesterday.  It pecked so hard-over and over- and man! - it didn't look like it was getting anywhere to me!  If it was, it was very, very slowly. I know Woodpeckers are made for this head banging but I don't think humans are meant to bang their heads against a hard surface repeatedly.  After being in awe of this magnificent and beautiful creature, I thought to myself, "I'm glad I'm not a woodpecker!" It hurts too much to work so hard and achieve nothing.  

But sometimes I am.  Instead of setting my mind on something and sticking with it until I reach my goal, I peck, peck, peck at the goal with too little effort and I get no where fast.  If I just followed through and put some real work in, I would find success more quickly and not have had to peck so long for no worm!

I make excuses.  YUP.  I do.  I know full well that living with the pecking is FAR worse than actually doing what needs to be done.  It hurts more and lasts longer.  Why do I do it?  I suppose it is instant gratification.  Sticking with my goal is, in the short term, easier to ignore than the pecking. I mean, it's only one peck.  I can do one peck.

One peck at a time,
 at a time,
 at a time.
 PECK.
Then do something else and time lapses.
PECK.
Something else.
PECK.
Result:  a year goes by and no goal achieved

Weeks go by and we wonder, how come I haven't reached that goal or accomplished that task?  Well, silly, you pecked instead!

Story:  After finishing my B.A. (three years) I jumped into getting two endorsements on my teaching license  which required about the same amount of work as a Master's Degree. This took a three years. When I finished the two endorsements, I thought, "Well, better get a Master's Degree."  It would have been very easy to put it off and the 3.5 year program seemed daunting.  But, I knew that  3.5 years would end sooner if I began right away.  So, I did it.  I finished two summers ago.  Done.  (Don't think I'm too great, I can't lose 5 pounds because I can't make it through one weekend without sticking to good eating!)

Let us not peck at nothing but put our efforts where they need to go to achieve our goals.  Life is too short to waste time pecking.  You are NOT a woodpecker.  Be resolute!

Take Good Care Today.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment