Follow Me Then Fly Begins!


Here we go! A blog for my women who struggle with being and living their best selves. Let this blog be to strengthen your wisdom and vitality for life and thus your physical person. May it be a resource of encouragement to you and a place of comfort and new strategies. My desire for Follow Me Then Fly is for women who need a companion to find an understanding home here. I hope my wisdom and my words will point you to Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior and aid you in your walk to be your unique and optimal selves, living fully for Him. I do not claim to be anything other than I am: a Christian, a woman, a teacher, a leader. I've learned a few things along the way and have some knowledge to share. What I share with you is from my life's learnings and from my heart. Welcome.


Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Operation Pajama Day A.K.A When You Feel Like Crap and Need a Mental/Physical Health Day

Here's your ticket. It is free. A free pass on a day. You are allowed. It might be once a year; it might be once every couple of months...depending on your circumstances. You know when you need a pajama day. You might be physically ill, run down, under-slept (?), constipated (I went there), under-joyed, overworked, exhausted mentally, driven to distraction---you know when it happens. By paying close attention to your body and sensing its signals, you can help yourself stay well by giving yourself permission to TAKE A BREAK AND REST!
By listening to your body you can save yourself the added stress of coming down with an illness. Often when we are irritable and over-sensitive and wonder what is wrong with us, we end up coming down with an illness soon after. We aren't that different than a toddler. Remember the days when your toddlers were grumpy and squirmy and there was nothing you could do to make them happy...and suddenly they awoke in the middle of the night with flaming red cheeks and a double ear infection? (Ben was two and I thought, “Oh great, this is the terrible twos!” But it only lasted that one day. Incidentally, that was the only day Ben was ever bad in his life and he's 28 now!)
Heed what your body says. It will tell you what's going on if you listen, look closely and be aware.
Now, I don't mean  hyper examine yourself to the point of hypochondria. I've stood in the mirror and examined the first two knuckles on my right hand for a half an hour fully convinced they are swollen and arthritic and I am doomed to be crippled forever! Then after awhile realizing that whether it's a reality or not, there isn't much that I'm going to be able to do about it so why bother to worry? So, I went on with my day. (I think I was delusional.) But, if my back starts twinging and I ignore that, or get that weird feeling in my throat...I better take some time to rest.
And it isn't just physical hints. Ours minds will give us very clear signals when they are pooped out. If you find yourself complaining about everything and everyone, you might need a little down time away. If you can't move your neck from side to side because of pent up stress, you should jump in your p.j.'s and cuddle up with a dog. Each of us has signals. God forbid something be really wrong with you and you missed the sign.
There is a balance to be aware of here. Do not give in to every little thing that ails you. As my daughter once told me, “Sometimes you just have to put on a pot of coffee and push through the work.” We often have to push through, but do so with care for yourself. If you can't push through, you know you need a day. Cozy up in those pajamas and snuggle down. You will reap the benefits of great health, both mentally and physically. Trust me, the world will go on without you.  

Take Good Care Today.

1 comment: