Follow Me Then Fly Begins!


Here we go! A blog for my women who struggle with being and living their best selves. Let this blog be to strengthen your wisdom and vitality for life and thus your physical person. May it be a resource of encouragement to you and a place of comfort and new strategies. My desire for Follow Me Then Fly is for women who need a companion to find an understanding home here. I hope my wisdom and my words will point you to Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior and aid you in your walk to be your unique and optimal selves, living fully for Him. I do not claim to be anything other than I am: a Christian, a woman, a teacher, a leader. I've learned a few things along the way and have some knowledge to share. What I share with you is from my life's learnings and from my heart. Welcome.


Friday, January 30, 2015

Pushmepullyou

Remember the Pushmepullyou character from Doctor Doolittle? It had two heads and one body and when one end pushed the other pulled?  Do you ever feel like you are one of these? 

Expectations. Requirements. Obligations. Demands. There are far too many of these pushed upon us as women. There is just not enough of 'you' to go around. Some women can spin many plates in the air at the same time...and you may think I am one of them. I may think I am one of them. But, I am not.

When I first became a middle school teacher, I worked closely with a woman who, despite being older than me, could run circles around me. I couldn't keep up with her energy and I am pretty high high strung when on the job. (This is surprising some folks). I tried for years to match her enthusiasm, but it just never happened. Eventually, I found my own speed and settled into my own pace. THANK GOD because trying to keep up with someone else was exhausting!

However, there are still many ways we are pushed and pulled. If you are anything like me, you feel stretched in many directions to attend this or that, volunteer here or there, perform some mission or other. There are so many worthy and wonderful places our energies could and should go. In fact, there are too many! Life's demands are outrageous. How do we know what speed we should go?

Usually, with me, I am hit between the eyes with a virus, bug, flu...you name it...when I have overdone. I try so hard to put on a good show that I can keep spinning those plates for quite awhile. When I was in my 30's I remember setting my alarm clock for two a.m. so I could wake up and fold clothes in the middle of the night and then return to bed. I also would awaken at four in the morning to run in the dark if I had a busy day and knew I wouldn't be able to get a run in. WHAT????? I know. I know. I hear you. I see it now. Stupidly ridiculous. I think that when our lives are out of control, we do weird things to gain control. We don't always pay attention to the speed we're traveling.

Finding your own pace of life is crucial. I know I need balance. I have had to say no to many events or opportunities. Working full time really is enough. That takes a lot out of a person. Because no one in this life just 'works' and does nothing else. We have so many other chores. There are also those things we feel we need to do to either impress or maintain a certain image … perhaps gain popularity, look better to our bosses – you name it. These are all pushing and pulling at us. I suggest sitting down and planning out one or two things you are willing to give of your free time to do and then do them. When someone comes to you with an amazing new project, think first. Say, you'll think about it. If you say yes and then dread the heck out of it, you know it wasn't a good choice for you.

I know that I need my calming down time. I cannot give 100% at my job every day unless I have some time to myself to think and rest and be ME. My creativity suffers if I don't get this – and I have a highly creative and intense job. Being boring and mundane does not go far with 11-14 year olds!  But, if I want them to get the best of me, I have to have the best of me first so I can serve them the best Jane! It may be similar with you. Choose wisely those extra situations you place yourself. Can you healthily manage the time away from home? What will suffer if you spread yourself too thin? Weigh everything carefully so that you are able to enjoy each day, never dreading, never regretting. These choices are yours and yours alone. You are in control of YOU. You can't do it all.

Take Good Care Today.



1 comment:

  1. Always a wise response to say " let me think about it and I'll get back to you".

    ReplyDelete